Monday, November 29, 2010

Eye Opener: Photo Essay

My theme has to do with environmental contributions that we do in my apartment to try and contribute to bettering the environment.  I took a few pictures of some things in my apartment that contribute to this and I will explain them all briefly and the benefits that I feel they have.

First of all, we make sure that we have a separate location for our trash and our recycling at our apartment.  Recycling is important and a good way to help the environment.  We place our trash in a garbage under our sink as you can see above.
The items that we recycle we place next to our sink and when the collection grows we place it into a cardboard box and our roommates bring this box down when we empty the garbage and then bring it back up to continue to add more recycling items to it.

Another important thing to us is eating healthy and we try and eat/buy organic fruit and other products as often as possible.
Something else we do that contributes to the environment is taking the bus as often as possible.  This is something I try and do as often as I can!  I live at Boulder Ridge so we have a shuttle/bus that goes to and from campus so this is very convenient and a good benefit for the environment as you could conclude.

 
Furthermore, me and my roommates have come to the agreement that we will try and use as little napkins or paper towels as possible. Our goal is to use none so we make an effort to always have towels hanging up to dry our hands or wipe up a spill.



This is another example that contributes to using less paper towels.  We use rags and always have a clean one sitting in the sink so that this is a better option than grabbing a bunch of paper towels, napkins or other wasteful paper products.



We always try and use the dishwasher instead of washing dishes by hand because using a dishwasher vs. doing dishes by hand saves a lot of water in the long run.


At the apartment we try and do the majority of our bills and mailing by computer.  This also saves on paper consumption! 

 I make a conscious effort when I drink water to do so out of the faucet.  This is resourceful.

To go along with the contribution above we have a lot of reusable cups so that we do not use plastic water bottles or any other items that contribute to additional and unneeded waste.



--These are some ways that my apartment tries to contribute to the environment and take that extra step!--



4 comments:

  1. Our household does many of the same things as yours. We recycle and use the dish washer quite frequently. I also always pay my phone bill online. I have been paperless for about 3 years now!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you took pictures of everything in your apartment! I wish I would have thought of that, I wasn't really sure what to do. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pictures. The one about using more rag towels stuck out to me. I use WAY too many paper towels, this would be a bad habit for me to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived at Boulder last year so this really hits home for me. I have not switched to online billing yet, but I think it might be easier and beneficial to the environment. I wish I could ride the shuttle more, but it really doesn't fit into my schedule. I'm glad you are able to utilize it.

    ReplyDelete