Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reflections: Weeks 9-12

  • Over the past few weeks in class we have covered a lot of different information. We watched a video in class that gave us a better understanding of how fast Americans are consuming and going through things, how most people feel they have to keep buying new things to have value in this society and contribute to the "golden arrow" as well as information on recycling and other facts and tips on how to try and save our environment. This video was rather eye opening and did a great job showing us the "whole picture."  I found this video so interesting to me so when I went home for Thanksgiving break I actually showed it to my mom and sister to try and spread the word. 
  • Something else we did was a project called the photo essay.  Not only did I enjoy doing this on my own and telling a little story through pictures, but I liked how we got to share our photos in class so we were able to get to see what everyone else did and listen to them give an explanation.  There were a lot of unique and interesting photo essays to learn about.
  • One day we had the opportunity to look at junk items and try and think of different things we could do with these instead of just throwing them away or buying something bran new.  It was neat to me to hear all of the different ideas that everyone had and made me realize that next time I am about to throw something away that I should think outside of the box and see if I can somehow put it to a different use!
These were a few of the things that I enjoyed doing over the past few weeks along with some of the new information that I learned. I am looking forward to going to Goodwill on Monday!

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the photo essay as well. I am kind of sad the semester is coming to an end. I have learned so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed the photo essay! It was beneficial to all of us to see what our peers chose. It was almost like a mini movie that she shows us because lots of our classmates made good points with their pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really enjoyed the video "story of stuff" too. I probably got the most out of that than any thing else. It really opened my eyes about how we consume things and how harmful this it. It's awesome that you liked doing the photo essay stuff too, you had a lot of cool picture I remember. It really did tell a story through pictures! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the Story of Stuff was really beneficial. It really provided a good background on a lot of stuff it talked about it. The photo essays were fun to see everyone's take on the assignment. I am looking forward to the junking projects as well.

    ReplyDelete