Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Read 'n' Seed 2: First Quarter of: The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight

I have started to read the beginning parts of my book.  I have gotten up to page 100.  My book does not really have chapters, but it breaks the book up in a different type of way.  Each new section that is addressed in the book has a header that says something like, We're made out of sunlight," or "Slavery and Freedom."  The book has different "Parts" and all parts are broken into sections that contain different headers. 
The first Part is mainly about sunlight.  It talks about how all things come from sunlight and explains a breakdown of this.  Some of the different topics within this first Part would be things such as, "how can things look so good yet be so bad, the death of trees, climate changes, water, survival," and it talks about some other topics as well.
I have learned many new facts and information while reading that I was not aware of before.  Honestly, almost everything I read was somewhat "new" to me because it is so in depth and goes into such great detail and gives a lot of numerical data.  A few things that stood out to me would be:
  • We are currently pouring over six billion tons of carbon into the atmosphere every year
  • The history of the small island Haiti, in many ways, is a microcosm for what's happening in the world today
  • The United States has lost a third of its topsoil since 1950
  • The timber industry's ads that show loggers planting seedlings after stripping trees from a forest are misleading with regard to the water cycle....they are creating a decades-long gap in the water cycle
  • Because of our consumption of oil, gas, and coal, we are pumping more than six billion tons of heat-trapping carbon dioxide into that thin layer of the atmosphere and because of this in the past 20 years the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has increased from 280 parts per million to over 370.9 parts per million
These tidbits of information were all collected within the first 100 pages of the book.  Some of them are really shocking and there are MANY other facts and information in the first 100 pages that go into more detail than these.
I think it is clear to see why we should care about this information.  They are stating facts that we need to know about and effect the planet that we live on.  We need to be aware of these things in order to be able to do anything about them.  Furthermore, much of the damage that has been done has to do with human impact.  I feel that solutions are trying to be accomplished and society is attempting to address these issues overall, but people need to take it seriously and try and do their part.  Something rather frustrating though, is that documentary we viewed in class that showed how the White House is not letting scientists reveal accurate data on some of these major environmental issues.  This is really going to do us no good in the end.  I am eager to keep on reading this book because the author says it is suppose to have a "positive" ending.

8 comments:

  1. This is a very intereesting topic, I would not have thought that sunlight was that big of a factor in the long run. I'm very interested in keeping up with the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it is just scary to think how much were damaging the earth just doing our everyday activities. I think we need to start using alternatives to gas and coal. Electric cars would be much more efficient and will hopefully start being a bigger part of our market soon before its too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is crazy how much carbon we are pouring into the atmosphere every year. Your topics are really interesting and I am looking forward to reading more about your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe the Haiti comparison. It is SO scary! I'm nervous and anxious to see what else the book has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel about learning 'new' things from the book, because that's how my book is also. I was just curious if when you were talking about amounts of carbon poured into the atmosphere - if you meant 'we' as the United States or 'we' as in the world. I would just like to make the connection, it's a lot regardless, however, if it's just the U.S. that makes me even more scared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book really seems like an eye opening book! Hopefully we can make some changes in our lifestyles quickly or things are going to turn ugly I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book has some great info. I can't believe how much waste we create. I think it is good were learning this information so we can decrease it.

    ReplyDelete