Monday, October 11, 2010

Eye Opener: CSPI



I decided to take a tour of the food supply!  I was shocked at some of my findings.  It was bothersome to the that many cattle are killed inhumanly. :(  I was unaware that the feedlots emitted harmful gases into the air.  I also was unaware that the cattle were eating grain that they did not need which can cause them to be sick and also make the meat that they provide consumers with more fatty.  This ties almost directly to what I learned about diet-related illness.  I was shocked to know that the overall cost of diet-related illness was around $90 billion dollars.  A lot of this has to do with the fact that people need to consume a diet that has more plant-like foods and less meat foods.
Some food facts that I learned were that since 1950 we are consuming a LOT more red meat, poultry, fish and cheese.  Contaminated foods cause about 5,000 deaths per year, which I think links to the fact that tons and tons of pesticides are being added to our foods.  On the other hand, fertilizer is also very harmful to our environment and rather expensive as well.
There was a lot of new information and a lot of facts that I gained from this website.  I was shocked at many of the findings.  Some things, in general, that I noticed were:
Many things were a lot more expensive than I had thought previously (Medical, Fertilization)  Other things were shocking to find out, like how much more meat we are consuming, how much water is used for irrigation, and some of the information listed above about cattle.  If you would like to look more in depth on some of the facts that I touched on, the information was found at this location: Tour the Food Supply. 
-Picture from Google

6 comments:

  1. I hear about people getting food poisoning often, but I had no idea that that many people were dying from food related illnesses. It's sad that so many people are getting sick, yet few people actually try to fix the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is some great information. I didn't know cattle gave off so many gasses. I mean I lived on a farm and it was stinky, but I didn't know it was that harmful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kara about how surprising it is that so many people are getting sick from food and not much is being done to prevent it. It just goes to show how greedy some company's are that would rather make a dollar than save someones life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You say that we are consuming a lot more red meat and poultry since the 1950's. I can easily believe that. I wonder what the factors are. I know there are a lot more people in the world than in 1950 but I wonder what other factors come into play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This website has a lot of good information. That is crazy that so many people are getting sick from food and the cost of that is 90 billion dollars. We should really try to eat less meat and more plant-like food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think the main reason farmers feed their cattle the grain that can harm them and people could be because it may be purchased in large amounts for a minimum cost? That's the only reason why I think they may use it.

    ReplyDelete