Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Eye Opener: Environmental Learning Activities

Here are the answers and observations I was able to complete for who was done with their activities!
 
 CARLY
Carly did a crossword puzzle and I thought this was a great way to put information together and to really get us to think about what was going on.  She also included a quiz and some other links in her post that taught us even more information about food borne illness. As Carly said in her post, this illness effects over 76 million people a year....which is a lot!  It is important that we are aware of this and understand what it is so that we can hopefully never have to experience something like this. Thank you for sharing this knowledge with me Carly in such a beneficial way!
 
 JD
JD had a crossword puzzle that he wanted us to complete. I thought this was a neat way to go about doing this and I enjoyed trying to find some of the answers. His crossword puzzle was ways that we can be more eco-chick! I found a bit of them to be a bit tricky, but overall they went well :)

 
MATT
Like my own post, Matt's post dealt with the dangers of smoking cigarettes. He had us play a game where we used a picture of us and there was a glass Popsicle and we tried to get it into our mouth and when we missed it would make us bleed.  I feel like this was equivalent to how harsh the effects of tobacco is, but some of the more serious effects we do not see until way later in our life so people at our age do not always take the risks as seriously as they should.  This was an interesting game that opened my eyes up about how "gross" smoking really is. I am almost 100% sure that if this is what happened to us every time we smoked, people would NEVER smoke!

 SAM
Sam who was in my group had an activity where we took a quiz that was about asthma. Like I stated earlier to Sam, Asthma is quite common and can be pretty serious.  My dad has asthma and it can really affect someones life. I found Sam's quiz to be beneficial and I did okay, I got 3 out of 6 so there was certainly things I can improve on! There was a flyer that Sam contained in her post as well that she wanted us to take a look at. When I was doing this I learned some more information like where I can go to find out more information about this or how air symptoms can trigger asthma to be more serious than normal.


DANE
Dane had a post about the oil spill and wanted to to write a reflection on what we had learned. I think this was a good idea because it got us to really think about how this spill would affect us and our life because we do not always think of it in that way because it does not always directly affect us at first.  This is kind of similar to smoking in the way that sometimes people do not always consider it a huge problem if they are not seeing the effects of what is going on first hand and immediately.  This is not a good way to go about thinking about things because it can end up catching up with you and really hurting you in the long run! His post was pretty detailed and in depth. 
 
HOW MY JOB WOULD BE INFLUENCED:
My job is to work at Boulder Ridge so I do not feel that the job that I currently have would be affected anytime immediately by this.
 
FREINDS AND FAMLIES JOBS:
My friends and family do not have any jobs in that location so I do not feel like they would be directly affected either.
 
PLACES I GO AND THE THINGS I DO & HOW THEY WOULD BE INFLUENCED:
I like be around nature and doing activities outside. If this area was blocked off I feel that it would take a lot of excitement away from the activities that I enjoy doing most.

PERCEPTION OF DULUTH AND HOW IT WOULD BE AFFECTED:
If there was a lot of pollution in an area I feel that it would end up keeping a lot of people away. People would more than likely not want to vacation in this area anymore because I know I sure would not want to.  Not only would Duluth be polluted then, we would be losing a lot of tourists who bring in money and all of this would end up being pretty harmful. The people of this area would also be affected in unhealthy ways!







--THANK YOU FOR SHARING THESE EVERYONE! YOU ALL DID A GREAT JOB:)

3 comments:

  1. Im glad that you learned a lot from the activities. I think that we all did a really great job putting them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I too am glad that you took some important knowledge from these learning activities as I know have. Activities such as these will help us in the future as health educators because we may have to come up with learning activities for our clients. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADHD & ADD

    ADHD er en psykiatrisk diagnose gitt til personer som oppfyller et minimumskrav for kriterier relatert til kroniske forekomster av hyperaktivitet, impulsivitet og / eller vanskeligheter knyttet til organisering og oppmerksomhet.

    ReplyDelete